Things to do when visiting Callao
Callao, a vibrant port city in Peru, offers a unique blend of history, culture, and breathtaking scenery. Here's a list of the top 10 tourist destinations in the area and some handy tips to enhance your visit.
1. Fortress of Real Felipe - This historical military building offers insight into Peru's colonial past. Closest transport links include the Callao metro station. Tip: It's best to join a guided tour for a comprehensive understanding of its history.
2. Islas Palomino - A short boat ride from Callao, these islands are perfect for those looking to interact with sea lions in their natural habitat. Local suggestion: Wear comfortable clothes and bring a waterproof camera for unforgettable photos.
3. La Punta District - Known for its beautiful beaches and traditional Peruvian seafood. Accessible by bus or taxi from central Callao. Don't miss trying the ceviche, a local specialty.
4. Naval Museum - Offers a deep dive into Peru's maritime history. Located near the Jorge Chávez International Airport, it's easily accessible by taxi. Buying tickets online is recommended to skip the lines.
5. Callao Monumental - An urban art project that features galleries, workshops, and vibrant street art. It's within walking distance from the Callao metro station. Tip: Visit in the afternoon to enjoy the area's lively atmosphere.
6. Chucuito - A picturesque fishing village famous for its colonial architecture. Best reached by taxi or local bus. It’s very picturesque, especially at sunrise when the colors of the buildings are enhanced by the soft light.
7. Raimondi Park - A peaceful retreat with a stunning view of the Pacific Ocean. A perfect spot for a relaxing afternoon, accessible by public transportation or taxi from Callao.
8. San Lorenzo Island - Offers unique wildlife and historical sites. Access is through organized boat tours. Tip: Book your tour in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons.
9. The Submarine Abtao - An intriguing naval museum inside a real submarine. Located near the port, it's a short taxi ride away. A must-visit for history and maritime enthusiasts.
10. Yahuar Huaca - A site of archaeological interest reflecting pre-Inca civilizations. Best explored with a knowledgeable guide, which you can find at the entrance. Located on the outskirts of Callao, accessible by bus or taxi.
Two locations noted for their picturesque qualities are Chucuito, especially at sunrise, and the San Lorenzo Island, which offers unmatched views and natural landscapes. Both are ideal for adding stunning photos to your travel collection.