Things to do when visiting Catania
1. Visit the Catania Cathedral: Located in the heart of the city, the Catania Cathedral is not only a place of worship but also a captivating historic site. Closest transport links include the Stesicoro metro station. Local suggestion: Attend a mass in the morning for a peaceful experience.
2. Explore the Ancient Roman Theatre of Catania: Dive into the history of Catania by visiting its Roman Theatre. Centrally located, it’s easily reachable by bus or metro, with the nearest stop being Stesicoro. Local suggestion: Check for live events or performances during your visit for an enhanced experience.
3. Admire the View from Castello Ursino: This medieval castle offers a glimpse into Catania's past and stunning views of the city. Closest bus stops include Castello Ursino. Local suggestion: Visit in the late afternoon for a picturesque sunset.
4. Take a Stroll in the Bellini Gardens: Named after the famous composer, these gardens are perfect for a relaxing day out. Easily accessible by public transport, with the nearest metro station being Italia. This place is known for its lush landscapes and tranquil environment.
5. Enjoy the Piazza del Duomo: This bustling piazza is home to the city's famous Elephant Fountain and is surrounded by impressive Baroque buildings. It’s best reached on foot from the main streets of Catania. Local suggestion: Try the traditional Sicilian street food from nearby vendors.
6. Discover the Fish Market (La Pescheria): Experience the vibrancy of Catania’s daily life at the local fish market. Close to Piazza del Duomo, it's a feast for the senses. Local suggestion: Arrive early in the morning to see the market at its liveliest.
7. Visit the Monastery of San Nicolò l'Arena: This UNESCO World Heritage site is a stunning example of Sicilian Baroque architecture. Closest transport links include the Borgo metro station. Buy tickets online to avoid queues.
8. Climb Mount Etna: For the adventurous, a trip to Catania is incomplete without visiting this active volcano. Local tours usually provide transport, making it easily accessible. Local suggestion: Opt for a sunset tour for breathtaking views and cooler temperatures.
Picturesque Highlight: Aci Castello
Offering panoramic views of the sea and an imposing Norman castle, Aci Castello is just a short bus ride away from Catania. Ideal for photography lovers, especially during sunset.
Picturesque Highlight: Taormina
Though not in Catania itself, this town is a must-visit for anyone in the area. Reachable by train or bus, Taormina is known for its Greek theatre and spectacular views of Mount Etna and the sea. Arrive early to explore the streets peacefully and capture the best shots without crowds.